Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.
2 Corinthians 3:17
In a state of liberty you are bound only by the Laws of Nature and Nature’s God, our Creator. You are born with certain unalienable rights that precede any human government or society and are not subject to their regulation or control. Just a few of these rights are:
- The right to life and the defense of it.
- The right to provide shelter for yourself and your family.
- The right to fashion clothing for yourself and your family to stay warm.
- The right to make a fire to provide warmth for yourself and your family.
- The right to gather herbs, fruits, vegetables, and meat to feed yourself and your family.
- The right to keep and bear arms for the defense of yourself, your family, and the product of your labor in the form of property from attack, theft, or confiscation by others.
- The right to enjoy the fruits of your labor in the pursuit of happiness.
- The right to believe or not believe in the Creator according to the dictates of your own conscience.
- The right to your opinions and the ability to peacefully share them with others.
- The right to pursue your dreams and aspirations; utilizing your talents and skills to improve life for yourself and your family.
- The right to dispose of your property as you see fit and to retain anything exchanged for it.
- Your rights end where mine begin; you cannot empower someone else to do something that would be unlawful for you to do yourself.
This is the America that was envisioned by most of the men responsible for forming it. Government’s sole duty, as defined in the Declaration of Independence, is to secure our rights. Is government securing those rights today or attacking them?
©2014, 2015 by Thomas Mick, All Rights Reserved.
Permission to distribute for non-commercial purposes is hereby granted, in whole or part, provided attribution and a link to this article is included. Commercial distribution without the written permission of the author is prohibited.
Photograph by Cindy Hanson Steensland